Dover castle

 On Sunday, we headed out on a day trip to Dover and Canterbury. We got up early and headed for what we thought was the pick-up location. We waited. And waited. Jim made some calls to see what the deal was and was assured that the bus was on the way. After a while, out of hunger, I sought out a pastry shop, but was interrupted by Jim who said the bus was finally there. I think the issue was that we were a pre-pick-up. We were being picked up before the actual gathering spot for the day trip group and I think they forgot about us. 

We got to Dover first. Jim and I went to the underground hospital tour, which was wonderful. It was damp and cold in the caves, and we weren't allowed to take pictures. The caves were used for a little while as a hospital during WWII. I can't imagine working underground in dim lighting, being cramped all day long. 

After the tour of the cave, Jim and I made our way with Hayley up to the castle area. We'd watched Secrets of Great British Castles and seen the episode focused on Dover. It was nice to be able to see it in real life. 

First glimpse of the area as we walked from the bus to the Dover castle area. The day was bright and the weather was pleasant. 

We could see Dover behind us


After the hospital tour, we walked up to the castle proper. I liked this entry gate building.

And just over the rise, peeked this ancient building.


I love archway pictures

We're going up there.

Inside the castle we saw displays of ancient armor, such as this helmet.


Princess and Queen. Princess is annoyed with her mother. Mother don't care; mother is busy being seriously regal in her capris and t-shirt and crown of sunglasses. If Jim had been in the picture instead of taking the picture, I would have used this as a Christmas card.

A happy, benevolent, jolly king.

This has many elements of a great tourist photo: the ocean, green grass, a sunny blue sky, old buildings, and it's taken from above.

While we were up on the roof of the castle, we spied these peasants coming through the gate. We waved to them and eventually they spied us.

On the roof of the castle. What I would do if I saw incoming missiles.

Feasting hall

some sort of white cliffs

This is as far into the white cliffs as I went because my lower back and legs and feet were sore.

Jim joined up with Katie and kids after this and I turned back to rest near the bus. Christian was there too.


Comments