A 2017 goal I didn't know I had

I turn 50 tomorrow and I've been focusing on making this 50th year of mine an enjoyable one. Jim and I have done a lot of fun things. Last April, I learned I was diabetic, which initially was a sad thing, but now has turned into one of the biggest gifts of my 50th year.

The goal I didn't know I had was to lose 50 lbs by the time I turned 50, and today, one day before I officially turn 50, I met that goal. I realized in early November that it was going to be possible and in spite of a wedding anniversary and Thanksgiving since then, I managed to realize this goal.

I still have more to lose to get to my eventual goal, but I'm half way there. At the beginning of 2017, and heck, for at least 15 years, I never thought it was possible to be the weight I am today.

It's not just the weight loss, but it's the knowledge that I can control some things in my life that I thought were not controllable. It's the feeling of more agile movement, less joint pain, fewer restraints on what I can do physically.

And my efforts have had an effect on Jim, who is helping me and supporting me. He's joined me in my effort to be more active and to eat more healthfully. And he's noticing results too.

So, I realize that not all people can or want to say this, but YAY diabetes! (My numbers are in the normal range now too)

No I don't have before and after pictures. Well, I do, but it would take too long to upload the before picture, and I'd have to steal the after picture from Katie's blog.

Comments

Dennis said…
Congratulations. Diabetes has been my curse for about 15 yrs and I also have lost weight (about 50 + lbs. Although it took me a lot longer. Keep up the good work.