Hike up to Magnetic Rock

In planning for this trip, Jim and I looked at places to hike. We chose several, and ended up doing none of them. We did do this 3 miler (round trip) up to Magnetic Rock.


It started out nice. I was surprised at how narrow and "wild" the trails are when they aren't state park trails.

We are so near Canada

Beautiful view! 

The three of us. It was buggy, and I'm glad I wore a hat to keep the mosquitoes and flies off my face.

So much view

Matt and view

He insists on tormenting me with getting close to drop offs. See the clouds in the distance? An indicator of the very near future on this hike.

So view

I will forever kick myself for not trying a blueberry. I only took a picture.

After a very long time of hiking and wondering if we were close yet, we finally reached the rock. It's a very different rock than the surrounding area rocks. 

Compasses do not point north in close proximity to this rock

Alien rock and Matt

The other group who arrived slightly ahead of us and alerted us that they found the rock, took our picture. 
Soon after we encountered the rock, we heard thunder. Not good. We headed back to the trailhead, but we had 50+ minutes of walking. We went as quickly as possible, but halfway back, the rain started. It poured and we got soaked. Luckily for my phone and camera, I had a plastic bag in my backpack. Everything else got dripping wet. 

Regardless of the rain, it was a fun hike. There were alternately open vistas and dense Minnesota jungle. It was hilly and rocky and planty and puddly. I'd do it again. And our recommendation was good enough that two of my brothers and their families hiked it the next day (with much better weather and they stopped to eat blueberries and said they were delicious).

Comments