Third grandchild, who is also a fifth

My wee little Jinky bean and his wife had their own little bean last Monday, March 11. James Warner Evans V.  Long story short: emergency c-section, brain injury from lack of oxygen, cooling therapy for 72 hours. A lot to deal with for a wee little baby. Actually he wasn't that wee at 7 lbs 14 oz. He has been in NICU since minutes after birth and he's the biggest one in there.

Little Jimmy (LJ) is a darling! Jim and I planned to go out to Spokane to visit so we had our plane tickets already, but we didn't count on spending most of the visit at the hospital, but we do what we gotta do to let that little bean get the best start possible.

NICU meant only 2 visitors at a time, and one had to be a parent, so Jim and I never got to see the baby together, and we only went in a few times each day. We were allowed to hold LJ, but had to wait for a nurse to pick him up and hand him to us while we were sitting in the chair. I have a tough time following rules like these because I'VE HELD BABIES BEFORE, but I worked hard to be compliant so that I wouldn't be kicked out.

LJ slept a LOT, but Jim was saying that with his brain injury (the double concussion that one time) he was foggy and sleepy for several weeks after, so LJ is probably feeling the same way.

Of course you want pictures. And I want to share them!!!
he was all wired up with tubes. At this point, they had completed the warming up after the cooling period. He's a tired baby.

Imagine the little baby squeaks

OJ and LJ


I finally get to hold the bean!

He's so adorable! 


burrito-wrapped by professionals


Grandaddy gets to hold the bean

Day 3 of our visit and the eyes are finally open for more than a few seconds. 

I'm sure he's thinking, "Hey, it's a grandma!"

"Are you going to spoil me?

"Do I have something in my nose?"

Heeheehee, I kinda love this face. He was moving around while sleeping.

OJ sent this to me yesterday. I think LJ is spending more time awake.
Hopefully LJ will be discharged in a couple of days. Our visit was not long enough, but we rest easy knowing that he has been in good hands during his time in the NICU. He will go home with loving parents who are eager to care for him. And they promised to send me lots of snapchats.

Comments

TaterBean said…
What a good looking little nephew!! I can't wait to hold him in May. Also, since he'll be out of the NICU and can have lots of visitors at a time you need to get a 3 generation picture. You could get a 4 generation picture if you throw in Grammy.