Y check off

Another bucket list item achieved.

I went to BYU for 3 years and not once did I hike up to the Y. My children have been going to the Y for several years and I have encouraged each one of them to hike up just so they can say they've done it. I've always wanted to do it, and finally did.

We went out to Provo to pick up Matt from his first year in college and when we dropped him off, I told Jim that when we picked him up, I was taking a morning to hike the Y. I finally felt in shape enough to do it. 

So Saturday morning while Matt was packing up his stuff, Jim and I hiked to the Y. It was harder than I thought going up! I'm not in shape as I thought I was, but I was in just enough shape to do it. I stopped at every switchback for several minutes, which is why it took us nearly an hour to get up (also we spent nearly 10 minutes on the wrong trail at the very beginning. Oops). The view was beautiful, the sun was shining on an unsmoggy Utah valley. The trail was heavily used that day, since many people were in town for graduation (Son in law Austin graduated, and so did niece Morgan--Many congratulations and happy dances on your behalf!). I couldn't believe the number of people who passed me up who were CARRYING TODDLERS AND BABIES. I had a hard time carrying my teeny backpack with my water bottle and sunscreen in it.

But I made it and it was glorious!

Trailhead

Provo

It's steeper than it looks

Finally, I licked the Y

Proof that I was there

Jim too, but he's hiked to the Y before

We sat up there for half an hour.

after the walk down. Stick by Uncle Gil



Comments