Beautiful Minnesota, or there are lots of places to take a scenic walk

I'm partial towards Minnesota, having lived here most of my life. I enjoy discovering new places in Minnesota (those places are becoming fewer and fewer in number, but I don't think I'll ever see all of scenic Minnesota) and this past weekend, Jim and I crossed two off the list: Pipestone National Monument and Split Rock State Park.

I took a lot of pictures at Split Rock, but the following picture sums up most of the best ones: the dam and the stone arch bridge.

There was a hiking path at Split Rock and Jim and I got our shoes and socks all wet traipsing the shorter of the trails. Some of it was along the lake, and some through wooded areas. Very invigorating. 

Then we went to Pipestone National Monument.

Cool rocks

the path along the cool rocks

a waterfall from up above. We followed a tiny unpaved footpath to the upper falls area and I felt like an explorer

the lower view of the falls, accessible by paved path

This view would make a nice 1000 piece puzzle!

The spray from the falls

the path on the other side of the falls and I felt almost Middle Earthian climbing it

Smooth sumac in its best color

The river was full up because of recent heavy rains

active quarry for stone for Native Americans to make pipes--hence "Pipestone"
Two little southwestern Minnesota places that are worth a look.

Comments