Don't go chasing waterfalls. Hike to them instead.

For me the whole point of going to the North Shore last weekend is so I could see Devil's Kettle Falls. I'd heard about it a few years ago, a "mystery" place! It's a two-pronged waterfall on the Kadunce River, with one side your normal, run-of-the-mill water going over rocks and continuing to flow onward in a river-like fashion. The other side, however, goes down a hole, described in whatever article I read about it as "bottomless" because they didn't know where the water ended up. This I had to see. Bottomless pits are a bottom-less pit of fascination. Since I read that article, a credible theory has arisen to explain where the water goes, and while it is a bit of a let down, it is nice to know the bottomless pit is not a wormhole to another dimension that needs our river water. The theory is that the water ends up back in the river by emerging back up into the river bed from underneath. 

Regardless of how bottomless the hole is, where the water goes, or how much one pays for pie at the local diner on the way up the north shore, it was a wonderful, but a moderately exerting hike. Stairs were involved. Lots of stairs.

downriver from the falls, before the 1 mile of uphill walking

The water looked like root beer

The leaves! It was perfect fall weather with perfect fall leaves!

An awkward picture taken by someone who does not know how to frame shots. AND HER HAND GOT IN THE WAY. Also her friend, who you can see is leaning because she's trying not to be in the picture. Picture taking person, you can zoom in a bit. I'm not saying I'm an expert in photography, but when I took their picture, I ZOOMED IN, and made sure my hand wasn't covering the lens even a little bit. And Jim stayed out of the way, like, he was behind me. Anyway, we were there and here's proof.

There it is!

The bottomless pit!

The stairs. I lived. Barely.

Comments