Kayak for 2 in the mangroves

Jim called the outfitters in the morning, and the wind was calm, so we could finally do our kayak outing. It was one of the highlights of the trip. 

But first, some dock time watching the pelicans

 
I took many pictures of the pelicans diving for fish, and finally got one at just the right moment. It didn't take too long though, since there were many pelicans and one or two would dive like every 30 seconds.

I like these huge flowers at the resort. They are about as long as my hand.

The kayak adventure begins. It's wide enough in this channel
But it gets narrower and over grown. It was vey cool to paddle through a tunnel. At times we didn't have room enough to paddle adequately without the paddles getting stuck in the branches. A few times I grabbed branches to pull us along.
Look at all the fishies!


we reached a more open area

It was only a foot deep or so

There were tons of Cassiopea upside down jellyfish. They are hard to tell apart from the sea plants, but they are there. Lots of them.

More jellyfish. I could have watched them all day.


On the way back, we were going with the current and could basically drift and still be moving to where we wanted to go.

More drifting. We saw a nurse shark and a little crab, but I didn't get pictures. 

so peaceful

Outside the sushi place we ate our second dinner. First dinner was a mistake, we ended up at a bar where I was hoping for a shrimp dinner. Well, I did get shrimp, but it was just shrimp, no veg or starch accompaniment. And it wasn't all that good. I was still hungry after eating the shrimp, so we drove around a bit and found a sushi restaurant where I got a salad and a nice shrimp tempura roll with yellow tobiko, which I adore.

Comments

TaterBean said…
Weren't you worried about getting ticks being that surrounded by branches?? Lol