Day 3 Four Corners

I started the day REALLY early, like before dawn when it was still mostly dark out. I got up early because Mike said he would drive me up to the trailhead to Potato Lake for my hike and I wanted to make sure he didn't leave without me. I was up for a bit, went outside and saw bats swooping in the not-quite-light-enough-to-see-very-much. I didn't get a picture, I just stood there and watched them circle around. I like bats. Finally Mike was up and we headed up Lime Creek Road. He and Lionel, his dog, went up to go fishing. I just wanted a morning hike.


The trail

Potato Hill

    A swamp next to the trail

The view is just amazing.

I finally got up to Potato Lake where Mike was already fishing. I walked around for about 10 minutes and then headed back down the trail. Mike said he would pick me up wherever I was on the road back to the lodge.

On the trail, I heard some crashing noise, and it was a MOOSE!!! I was a little afraid, I let the moose go where he wanted to go, and he left me alone. But I did manage a decent picture.

I made it back to Lime Creek Road before Mike did and started back to the lodge. Mike finally caught up with me in his pickup truck and said he saw the moose too.

After I got all cleaned up post-hike, we drove with Katie and kids (Christian had a migraine) to Four Corners. I had never been before. It was HOT. We ate some Navajo Fry bread--mine was covered with cinnamon sugar. Jim and Katie got Navajo tacos (while they didn't regret it, they did suffer some consequences later)


I love this picture of Katie and her kids running around New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado.

Whatever rock formation this is, it's cool

We had a post-dinner fire with marshmallows

This is a wonderful way to end a busy vacation day.

 

Comments