Memphis picture dump 2: Graceland

Jenni hung out with us on Saturday; she took us to Graceland. I'm not a Elvis fangirl by any means, but if one is in Memphis for any length of time and if one is at all an appreciator of rock 'n roll music, one must go see Graceland. Or, GRACELAND!!!  It deserves all caps.

I went mostly to see the Vegas years jumpsuits! And I would not be disappointed.

Pictures:
It looks so tiny! But it's 17,000 square feet of living space, so like 10x bigger than my own house

The closest thing Jim had to an Elvis shirt was a Paul MacCartney one (did we rectify that?  Stay tuned...)

Jenni and I have a thing for pointing out ashtrays. Neither of us smoke, though. We don't know what the deal is.

We LOVE the peacock windows! This is actually a lovely room, and the white couch (which although it was super lovely, I would never have in my house. White with kids? Nope) was LOOOOOONG.

Elvis loved looking at himself. Mirrored walls and a painting of the man.

No one goes up there, not tourists, not staff, not nobody, except Lisa Marie and her family. It's roped off at the bottom.

Fondue!

A groovy carpeted kitchen with all the latest normal, regular-people-in-the-70s appliances.

The jungle room. Dig the shag.

MIRRORS!

I like the color scheme

350 yards of that fabric went into this room. Walls and ceiling. Took them 10 days to hang. Dang. 

MORE GREEN SHAG! ON THE WALLS!

Elvis's and Priscilla's wedding wear

Jenni saw this painting and said, "It looks like Thomas Kincaide." AND IT WAS!

The horrible, fabulous art!

May he rest in peace

Surfboard seat backs! This car was a movie prop.

Be still my heart! Eagle on a cape!

I loved all the jumpsuits

Fat Elvis was not that fat!

The walls were covered with photos of Elvis wearing the jumpsuits

Look at that flare!

Table and chair! They fit so nicely together to save space!

We couldn't NOT see the planes.

They still smelled vaguely of 70s cigarette smoke

THERE IS A SEATBELT ON THE BED! Because safety!

Elvis and I are pals

Elvis shirts!

Yes, Jim got an Elvis shirt. He went for the younger, movie Elvis, while I went for the Vegas Elvis vibe

We finished off the evening at Germantown Commissary for Memphis BBQ. I liked this sign, which would be more at home in the Keys of Florida. I don't know what it's doing here, but I had a nice giggle at the unexpectedness of it.

Comments