Harrods

We were approaching the end of the day after National Gallery and an afternoon of adventure in Soho and at Buckingham Palace. We didn't want to go back to the hotel room too early so we thought a trip to see Harrods would fit in our late afternoon. We bused over. My feets were tiring at this point so it was nice to spend a few minutes sitting on a bus.

Our first view of Harrods. We walked in and meandered through the make up, perfume, and handbag departments before encountering food!

We spent a long time trying to pick out just a few chocolate purchases, which was difficult when there is a whole ROOM of chocolate. We picked out some variety chocolates from the Harrod's brand to take home and try with Paul and Bethany when they came for a visit. I didn't pay attention to the specialties we selected, but hey, it's chocolate. I would LOVE to go back to this room and purchase more chocolate.

We also spent sometime looking in the food marketplace, which was buffet takeout style. We didn't get anything there at that time, since we were planning to check out the restaurant in the basement for dinner. I wanted to look around at the clothing, so we went upstairs and boy is this store just a huge maze. 

The clothing brands all have their own areas, and I was afraid to touch anything. They had one dress or clothing item on the racks to look at, and I'm assuming one would just tell the employee what size was needed, and the employee would tell you to go away because they don't sell fat people clothing. All these high-end fashion styles are beyond my ability to appreciate because I saw nothing that I would wear, or even thought was at all cute or nice, even if I were in the size range they catered to. So much emerald green, which I like in an emerald, and in grass and trees, but not in evening gowns or dressy blouses.  The Prada section was even more exclusive; they had placed a sign in the entry to their area saying "please wait to be seated." No thanks. I'll keep sewing my own shirts or buying off the rack at Target.

This is high-end couture? Feet boots???

I did like the escalator decor


It was all very Egyptian, with which I went through a phase of being super interested in 5th grade and I still harbor some fascination.

We went downstairs to the cafe, but I was in a cantankerous mood because of something Jim said, which I can't even remember, but it was something about cute paper plates and he said something like we have paper plates at home. Something totally stupid to get peeved at. By the time we got to the cafe I was not amenable to suggestions or to extreme pricing for super fancy food. I saw the menu with the price and said, "nope. I'd rather get food at the buffet market upstairs." So we tromped back upstairs to the food market and I bought a spinach and mushroom pot pie, which I thought I was going to like but did not. It was mushy and slimy and did not taste like either spinach or mushroom, even though I could see both ingredients. Oh well. And then my fit of pique was over and I was back to enjoying the vacation. And then I ate some of the chocolates I had bought at Harrod's.

It's a big store. Easily lost people will have trouble finding their way around it.


Comments