St Giles cathedral in Edinburgh

After our visit to Edinburgh castle, we needed lunch. A friend of ours had mentioned The Witchery and we saw it on our way down the Royal Mile. We thought, why not? Let's try it. Jim is looking for the entry, which was down this alley way. 

We were seated in the covered patio outside and I had this view of the statuary. I had seen other statue butts earlier and told Jim that I should have collected photos of all the marble/metal/concrete/stone butts and put them into a photo book.

The best meal I had on this trip. Lamb Wellington with spring potatoes and black garlic aioli and THE BEST MUSHY PEAS EVER. 

Seriously these were DIVINE. There was dill in them, that much I knew. I was licking the serving spoon after I had finished what was on my plate.

The black garlic aioli was to die for as well. As the server was trying to bus the table, I was licking that serving spoon and he asked me if I was finished with it. I knew I looked foolish and not classy at all (their clientele was of the hoity toity sort who probably had butlers to wipe their faces), but I didn't care because it was so good. The lamb Wellington was delicious too.

We had some time before our train left for London so we stopped in at St. Giles cathedral for a looksee.

Their very out of place organ. I mean this cathedral is super old, but the organ has a very modern look (it was installed in 1992). There's an organist playing but he's so small compared to the organ that you can't see him. I wanted to get a closer look.
Here is the organ from across the crossing
There was a path behind the organ and underneath the organ console is the storage room. Whoever is in charge is as unorganized as most musicians. Piles of sheet music and books every where, even on the stairs.


An important person is either buried here or memorialized.

The thistle chapel ceiling. How ornate.

I love all these little details.

the decoration is so overwhelming in these gothic places.

I have no idea what these are, but I sort of liken them to Boy scout badges

I can't get over the narrow walkways

The train station at King's Cross
Dessert in our hotel room. Jim went down to the pub and ordered dessert and brought it back up to our room. I think this is an almond tart with a bit of sorbet. Jim had his fave sticky toffee pudding, not pictured. 

















 

Comments