I finally set foot in Scotland

My grandma was born in Scotland and emigrated when she was a toddler. It's always been a bucket list item for me to set foot in her native country. I didn't make it to the town she was born in, but I did get up to Edinburgh.

This was our first opportunity to ride in one of the trains (not the London Underground). Our train was scheduled to leave from King's Cross! We left pretty early because we did not to miss the train due to not knowing where anything was. And also we didn't have anything else to do.

I have read the Harry Potter series many times, so being at King's Cross station was informative. Also we got there so early that the prop cart hadn't been set up yet. I did not know it was maintained by the Harry Potter gift shop right next to it (I didn't know there was a Harry Potter gift shop right there)

pasty and egg sandwich and hot chocolate and diet Coke for breakfast

I'm probably ruining the magic by snapping a photo of the prop cart being set up at Platform 9 3/4

I'm a Ravenclaw, but I identify as a Mrs. Weasley type also.

One thing about the train system here is that they don't announce the platform until like 10 minutes before the train leaves. We sat around the screens waiting for platform announcement, getting more and more anxious. The crowd swelled and even though we had seat assignments, I still worried that we wouldn't make it or we wouldn't get our seats. But it all went smoothly. Once the platform was announced, those of us on that train casually made our way to the platform and boarded in a very calm and orderly manner. 

The scenery is just so blue-green-white and lovely and serene and not crowded with hotels and people


Finally made it to Scotland


our first view of Edinburgh

We didn't have anything planned for this day after our train ride, so we went for a walk around Edinburgh. The stairs are steeper and longer than they appear in this picture.

I can't get enough narrow alleys. The stairs are cool, but we chose not to go that way.

Let's stick a building right there even though it will have to be super narrow.

I'm used to buildings surrounded by landscaping and space between the sidewalk and the road. This is much more closed in. 


I love the word 'treacle.' I like how it sounds.

I noped this all over Edinburgh and back. I texted the picture to the kids, who of course said I HAD to eat haggis while in Scotland. At the time I had no idea what neeps and tatties were. I had to look it up. Turnips and potatoes.

Comments

TaterBean said…
Yay for making it to Scotland! And glad the gift shop put the HP trolley up before you had to leave.