Went back to Utah so soon after leaving

Both times we traveled for Paul. First time was for graduation, this time, for Paul's wedding. Big milestones in a young man's life.

We flew with Katie, Christian and the kids and it was a SUPER early flight. It was barely light when we left. And it was raining. Jackson sat between Jim and me and Katie, Christian and Emma sat right behind us. 
His face wouldn't sit still for a picture. He was a super good traveler though. He sometimes watched How to Train Your Dragon, and sometimes colored.
When we got to SLC, Katie and family went their way to visit Christian's family. Jim and I decided to cross off a bucket list item. I've been to Utah many times, but I've never set foot near the Great Salt Lake. It was minutes from the airport so we headed over.
This part was fairly unstinky and bug level was low

OK, if you're going to balance rocks, you're CHEATING if you use flat ones! 

Finally. I am at the Great Salt Lake

and now I'm in it. It is way muddier on the bottom than most lakes I've encountered. It looks like I'm wearing black socks, but that, ladies and gentlemen, is MUD up past my ankles.

Whee!

This was interesting. It would make a good album cover, except for my finger in the lower right corner. This piano was just SITTING in the salt flats. Lots of bugs here too. I saw this piano from the highway and my curiosity insisted that I investigate. 

It is not in good shape

It does play, but very poorly.
 After the Salt Lake, we picked up Hayley for a hike around a reservoir in American Fork Canyon.
There was this weird drain in the reservoir and I thought it looked vaguely dystopian and sinister.

Chicky on our hike. Eventually the trail went vertical and it was difficult to walk on it. 
It was a good first day. That evening we went to Cubby's with Hayley and Austin, and Paul and Bethany. This was Thursday, and the wedding was on Saturday. We had one more day before wedding festivities. More later.

Comments

TaterBean said…
Next time you must float in it! It is really neat!