Eiffel Tower

There are some tourist places that are so widely known, so heavily visited, so photographed that they are almost cliche. And when we were planning our trip, I was not all that excited about visiting the Eiffel Tower because I thought, well, it's over-hyped. Same with the Mona Lisa (which we didn't attempt to see, although Hayley did). But Jackson had mentioned wanting to paint the Eiffel Tower while looking at it, so I knew we'd end up going to see it. It's better than I imagined! It's taller than I thought it would be and very impressive. I loved it, especially at night. What I didn't like are the photographer vendors every 10 feet trying to sell photo ops on a super busy street and the souvenir vendors every 6 feet, all selling the SAME cheap trinkets. I don't know how any of them make any money. 

I don't care that there is a light pole and a traffic light in the background--this was our first chance to take a selfie with the famous structure.

We ate our dinner in a sandy decrepit park across the street with this view

river Siene

Getting closer!

Jim and I stood in line to buy tickets to the top, but the line was so long and the wait was interminable that we gave up. But we did see a rat scurrying by, which was worth it because when we tell people we went to Paris, several of them asked if we saw any rats, and we can say Yes!


So picturesque!

River Siene in the dark

our dessert. I got an opera

And Jim found cheesecake

 

Comments