Paris in the afternoon

After the catacombs and lunch we had a few hours to spare before hopping on the Eurostar back to London. We had to check out of our hotel so we had all our bags with us, I don't recall that it was too awful to drag them around. We had packed light anyway since it was just an overnight trip. 

We headed back over to the Eiffel tower so the kids could be artists while in view of some French art inspiration. It was nice to sit and relax and contemplate what it means to be in a foreign country. We saw a military group (complete with rifles) march through the park while looking menacing. I wondered what the purpose was. It's not something I ever see in the US. I hear about gun-owning people asserting their rights to own guns, but aside from Memorial day parades, I am not in situations where firepower is on display. I did not take pictures of the group walking through the area.

I couldn't help taking more pictures of the Eiffel Tower. 

And the river Siene

We decided to check out Notre Dame, which was closed to tourists because of the restoration going on. It was enough to see it. It's on an island in the Siene. 

The construction view

The river and bridges are just so picturesque

Wouldn't it be fun to live in those buildings?

Proof that we were there!

I'd like to see the apartments

so cozy!

Jim and I walked around for a little bit, found a creperie and I had a nutella and banana crepe. It was delicious!


I also bough huge meringues of various colors. They were not soft, they were more like sweet-tasting light plaster. I could not believe the size! I think of meringues as more the size of eggs.


All these French names for the Metro stops, and then "Barbara"

While we were sitting by Notre Dame, Jim noticed a street vendor selling poetry written on the spot. Now this was some street vending I would pay for! I gave the word skeleton, and the writer wrote this poem for me in French. From what I remember, it's about taking your skeleton, covered in beautiful flesh, and doing things with it, go places because time/life is fleeting. Be brave!

Google translation of poem: 

Make a skeleton

both supple and solid

and coat it with the flesh

beauty

set the bones in motion

The carcass

take it around the world

Use it

take care of this ephemeral vehicle

the body will return to dust

feel the bone structure growing

Like stems of roses

Before fading

dare!


 

Comments