There's a hole in my bucket list, dear Liza, dear Liza

(Or if you are one of my brothers, the last part of that line is "dear Iva Saliva," said with a slight lisp, I believe. And no, I don't know why. But that's how we as kids sang it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER...........all the verses.  By the way, whoever is holding that darn* bucket is a complete and utter bonehead for his inability to solve his own problem)

Uh....

Anyway(s)

Oh yeah, my bucket list. It kind of does have a hole in it, in that there isn't much on my personal bucket list.

But I did add one thing to it this week. In the newspaper recently, there was an article about a hiking area that is pretty close to my house. I read the article and thought "Hmmm, I'd like to go there and hike the trail there." But then I finished my cereal and started on my long journey to work (a trip of about 20 feet from where I was eating my cereal). I forgot all about the hiking trail until later in the day when Other Jim got out of bed and was reading the newspaper. And he saw this article about the hiking trail. He brought it to me and said, "I wonder where this is." He seemed interested in it.

Then I remembered that I had this book:

I got the book out and we looked up the trail that was featured in the newspaper. Sure enough it was in there. I've had the book for a year or two, but hadn't looked at it much since I saw it in the bookstore. So I started paging through it, looking at the trail maps and reading some of the descriptions. I've even walked a few of them already, Wood Lake in Richfield, Cleary Lake just a couple miles south of where I live, and Murphy Hanrehan, also very close by. When I was a kid, I walked around Carver Park (I was forced into it) and have even camped there. 

And then I got the idea of something to put on my bucket list: I want to hike all 60 of these trails. If I did 6 a year, it would take me 10 years, but I think I could do it.

The next Friday I have off work, I am going to walk one of the trails, one I haven't walked before. Maybe the one featured in the newspaper. And I'm going to take my camera.

*or other word of similar length

Comments

Jake and Steph said…
Just remember to bring your travel size Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch if there are any ferocious lagomorphs in your way. Have fun.
Jen said…
What a cool idea! Mike has probably already ordered this book based on this blog post. He loves the outdoors entirely too much.