EJ practices for his mission

So all of you know that EJ is going to leave us and preach the gospel in Tijuana. He's pretty excited.

I can't fathom it because I have NEVER wanted to serve a mission. Talking to people I don't know is difficult enough to do without having the added burden of sharing a religious message. I tend to laugh too much, talk to fast and too high, and agree to whatever the stranger is saying just so I can get out of the conversation faster.

EJ doesn't seem to see it that way. In fact, yesterday he went TRACTING with the missionaries in our ward to practice his door approach.

We didn't hear much about it afterward until one of the elders told Jim this:

He said, "Did Jimmy tell you about tracting yesterday? It was so cool. He gave the message and then asked if the lady wanted to hear more about it. The lady goes 'sure!' It was funny because then Jimmy didn't know what to do next so I had to take over."

EJ had been anticipating failure--he had only prepared his door approach.

He's gung-ho, that's for sure.

And if you want to keep up with his mission news, I have an ancillary blog now called "EJ goes to TJ" that will be where I post news and pics from the MTC and from south of the border.

In fact, I'll double post this over there: EJ goes to TJ


Comments

Jenni said…
I can't believe this is happening. And don't feel bad, I never wanted to go on a mission. It scared the daylights out of me!! We are so excited for EJ. Good for him to go practice! Did he do it in Spanish. It would have been awkward if the lady didn't speak Spanish.
I don't feel bad about having never wanted to go on a mission. I am glad to hear that there are some people that feel the same way. I'm glad Jimmy's going, and I'm glad Jim went, I just had no desire to go. I didn't plan on getting married as young as I did, but I never would have served a mission if I hadn't gotten married.
Dennis said…
To serve or not to serve - it is an individual choice and one that is in no way indicitive (sp?) of one's testimony. I'm happy with your choice because you may not have ever met and married the man you did. He is one of a kind.