A time to get, and a time to lose

To everything there is a season.

I have had a good long season of fun family holiday traditions with little children.

Today, some of the traditions were laid to rest. We did not color eggs this year, and we did not participate in hiding eggs and finding them. We did not have Easter baskets (although there was candy and plenty of it).

Now is the season of rest from the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus; the season of rest from little children. I have got my children, and now it is time to "lose" them to adulthood and self-reliance.

I don't mind. We have had fun the last 20 years of keeping up these particular holiday traditions, but it wears thin after a while, and we are getting to be too busy to keep some of them up. I am glad that we have had those times, but I am also glad that when I said, "no baskets this year" no one complained. They were happy that there was candy and that there will be ham and potatoes and pineapple for Easter dinner but the things of childhood are now universally acknowledged to be not necessary.

Matt spoke in church and it sill amazes me that he is old enough to put together a coherent, thoughtful speech. It also amazes me that he has such a deep voice, even after hearing it for nearly a year.


Comments

TaterBean said…
I can't wait to do those things when I have kids! I love the family traditions. It's kinda sad that growing up means not doing these things. :/
Jake and Steph said…
Sara, thanks for bringing the desserts on Saturday. The leftover lemon bars when quite quickly. As in, I didn't get any more. Alas, I proably don't need them anyway. And may calm nerves go out to you and Jim as EJ prepares for the next stage in his mission.
Mike said…
If you ever need to have the experience of those things again, you can lease our critters for a particular holiday...
CC
Jen said…
I'm sure it does seem weird to not have those traditions anymore after 20 years (really, it has it been that long) of doing it. Just think, you get to do it all over again in a few years when little grandfeet start crossing your doorstep. That's an impossible thought, huh?

P.S. Saw that a certain someone is now "attached" on FB...ahem.
Jenni said…
We didn't dye eggs either. Watching iCarly and SNL to see One Direction was more important. Oh well. I still hard boiled eggs for demonic eggs. YUM. and Thinking of Jimmy all the live-long day.