A treasure trove of garage sales

Yesterday was the first time I'd cruised the streets looking for garage sales in a long time--many years. I haven't done it for a while because babysitting gets in the way. Either I've had a fake child those Thursdays when the garage sales sprout up like mushrooms in the grass after a long rain, or I've been busy doing things I couldn't do with a fake child in tow.

But the current fake child is now four and as long as I don't go saling for the whole morning, she's a trooper. It also helped that at the first sale we stopped at there was a white flower girl-type dress with floaty tulle for a skirt that was priced a hefty $1. And it was just her size. So now she has a "bride dress" for dress-up. She was very excited and she squealed all the way back to the car.

My original intention to sail the streets of surrounding neighborhoods was to find kitchenware for Katie. She has mentioned a need and since she works a full time job and a part time job, she can't get out to the garage sales in her area. And I refuse to allow her to buy new! She's a poor young single adult and therefore ineligible to purchase better pots and pans than her mother owns. So I thought I would try the sales in my area on her behalf.

And I was not disappointed. In less than an hour and for less than $15, I got a smallish saucepan, a medium saute pan, a tiny sauce pan (so cute!), a muffin tin, a 9x9 cake pan, and a wooden cutting board. And I can't decide whether or not to keep the Rubbermaid food containers I found or let her have them.

I also found a very cute skirt for Hayley. I need to cruise the sales next week to see if I can find a shirt to match it.

Comments

Jen said…
Good for you to get out there for the sales. I've seen a couple sprout up around here, too. I really should start looking for baby gear such as a crib, swing, etc. Ugh, I can't believe I have to start all over with this stuff.