Furry leas

The other day, Matt and I were in the car, driving through an industrial part of town when Matt asked me a question. His voice carried all the way from the back of the van (he loves to sit in the way way back) despite loud groanings from my aging vehicle, bumpity-bump noises from driving on a wretched wretched road, and my left ear canal hosting a cage match between white blood cells and invading forces of throbbing evil. Matt's voice is unlike that of another child of mine, whom I have to command to speak up even if she is sitting right next to me, talking through a megaphone, and all other sound has been sucked out of the universe.

Matt asked (this is what I heard), "What does 'Fur Elise' mean?"

Ah, a music question!

I replied, "'Fur Elise' is the name of a song by Beethoven. It's in German, and it means 'For Elise.' He wrote it for one of his students to practice arpeggios I think." I thought to myself that perhaps I'd consult Wikipedia later on that one for more information.

Silence from the backseat.

I wondered why he asked. His piano playing skills have not progressed that far that he would have encountered the song in his own books. Hayley hasn't played it either. I wondered if there was a piano book lying around in the back of the van opened to a page with "Fur Elise" on it. While I mused I drove through another retail section of the city.

Matt finally spoke. "That doesn't make any sense."

"What doesn't? Beethoven wrote a song and called it that." Makes perfect sense to me.

"Why is it on so many signs near buildings then?" And then he pointed to a sign that said...


For Lease


*insert deaf mother related punch line here*

*insert reference to the DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince song, "Parents Just Don't Understand" here as well*

Boy, did I feel stupid. This is why I don't go out much, why I socialize very little--I misunderstand people all the time. So if you know me in person and strike up a conversation with me and you think that I am acting batty or saying strange things, just remember I probably misheard something you said and am commenting on what I heard instead of what you really said.

Comments

Jenni said…
That is so funny. Poor kid was just trying to make sense of life and you threw him the biggest curve ball ever!!
TaterBean said…
hehe...thats funny!
Stephanie said…
That's great. I guess when you're mom is a genius, you just have to be prepared for the long answers. :)
Jeannine said…
It's funny, but I really understand. I frequently mis-hear things. It's one of the reasons I hate the phone. If I'm looking at someone I have a much better chance of getting the right message.
I love though that you thought it was a musical teaching moment and shared that with him, even if it did confuse him. I will never be able to look at a For Lease sign again without hearing Beethoven.
That reminds me of the time I was in the kitchen and the kids were in the next room watching TV. The woman on TV was going on and on about how it was common to have "goats" in your house. It finally bothered me enough that I looked at the tv: It was Sylvia Brown talking about having "ghosts" in your house!
Jen said…
I thought I had commented, but it didn't show up for some reason. Anyway, that's pretty funny. I guess this officially means you are getting old.