16 GB cake

It's very hard not to make excuses for what I think is wrong with this cake. I really want to say, "I should have" or "I couldn't do ____ because..." BUT I won't. The only things that matter in regards to cake are 1) is it appropriate to the celebration and 2)does it taste good? So instead, I'll dwell briefly on those two requirements.1) Is it appropriate? Other Jim didn't know what form he wanted his cake, so this was my idea. And yes, the design is appropriate because it's a replica of the item he has with him pretty much all the time.

2) Did the cake taste good? Yep!

(PS. This was the first time I used fondant. Why on earth does OJ's iPod have a black wheel??? I still have food coloring stains on my hand! Working the fondant wasn't too bad. The kids all wanted a taste of the fondant so I let them try it. The big boys didn't like the texture much. Neither did I. It's like eating fun foam. Hayley and Matt said they liked it. Fondant does make nice cake details, though. I wanted both the apple logo and the wheel to look precise, and buttercream frosting is not the ideal decorating medium for precision)

Comments

Dennis said…
Your cakes are always so creative. I think that one is a masterpiece and OJ looks happy with it but as you said it's not so much how it looks but how it tastes. I made a cake yesterday, a 13X9 inch carrot cake with canned frosting. But it does taste good.
Jen said…
Wow! You did an awesome job. The apple and menu wheel really look authentic. Thumbs up!
Jessie said…
that looks so cool! you did a great job! YUM!
Jenni said…
Wonderful job, Sara. Fondant isn't too bad to work with, but I never got it quite right. It sufficed! And I'm sure it tasted as is was supposed to taste - YUM. Seal of approval!
Shantel said…
That looks great! I have never worked with fondunt. I have allways wanted to though - it does make for good detail. (it wont help with my inability to spell however)