Resolution

How many of you are making New Year's resolutions? I made some last year and promptly forgot about them until yesterday. I knew I would do that. I'm not a very good resolution keeper.

This year, I looked up the definition of resolution in an online dictionary because the word itself has usages other than just promises to oneself that one doesn't really intend to keep.

I will base my 2010 resolutions on these various definitions, just for fun. We'll see what I come up with.

1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. So I resolve to be more opinionated, to speak up more in group situations, to not be such a wallflower.

2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something. Ummm, I resolve to be less lazy. I will be more determined to DO some of the things on the interminable lists I write for myself. Example: yesterday I actually made three phone calls that have been on my to-do list for several weeks. Skin dr check for Paul (his mole is coming back), hair appointment (my hair is now sort of red because the salon had an immediate opening yesterday), and ortho appointment to begin the braces process for Hayley.

3.the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose. I will not be easily swayed by the opinions of others. I will do things necessary to retain my own firmness of testimony in my belief system.

4. the act or process of resolving or separating into constituent or elementary parts. Hmmm. Deconstruction. This is a tough one. Elementary parts. I will work on increasing my muscle tone? So incorporate more strength training into my admittedly feeble exercise routine. We shall see how far I get with this one.

5. the resulting state. I will work on my resulting state of happiness. I am determined not to be so innately negative. Focus on what is good about where I am. I will find the blessings or learning experiences within the hardships. Or I could focus on the resulting state of some blue terry cloth material I've had sitting around for awhile and SEW THAT DANG BATHROBE UP! So many times I have gotten out of bed and wished I had a bathrobe!

6. the act, process, or capability of distinguishing between two separate but adjacent objects or sources of light or between two nearly equal wavelengths. Another weird one that will require great leaps of thought to make a resolution from this definition. My kids are all on different wavelengths and they are separate but nearly equal objects, so perhaps I could resolve to know more about their own personal wavelengths--get to know them better. Talk with them more. Watch out, kids, mom's going to be paying attention to you!

7. a solution, accommodation, or settling of a problem, controversy, etc. I could try to settle problems without freaking out (but I think this is something I will be working on until the end of time). I could also try to judge others less.

8. Music--the progression of a voice part or of the harmony as a whole from a dissonance to a consonance. Practice piano. Learn a song out of the organ prelude book I received for my birthday.

9. reduction to a simpler form; conversion. Conversion from ignorance to knowledge (another bit of a leap, but I need a resolution that applies to my ongoing attempt to educate myself. I won't necessarily be simpler, but with practice, writing will become easier--writing is the emphasis I'm working on to obtain a college degree).

10. Medical--the reduction or disappearance of a swelling or inflammation without suppuration. Continue to exercise to reduce the swelling of an approaching-middle-age body (although I know I won't ever reduce, but maybe I can slow the speed of inevitable continuation of weight gain).

11. the degree of sharpness of a computer-generated image as measured by the number of dots per linear inch in a hard-copy printout or the number of pixels across and down on a display screen. Blog and watch TV! Now that's a resolution I can smile about!

So what are your resolutions for this new year?

(P.S. First thing I did when I got up this morning was EXERCISE, not sit at the computer! Go me!)

Comments

Jenni said…
Go you!! I blogged! No exercising until Monday, then it is no more jiggle belly for me. Ha. I resolve to finish the Old Testament and to once again try to lose the mounting weight.
Jen said…
Good resolutions or ways of being resolute. You should keep a permanent link on your page to constantly remind so you won't forget theml