Katie's visit part 2: All my small appliances for hair styling have mysteriously migrated downstairs to Katie's favorite bathroom

Hmmmph.

Yesterday I was pondering the mom that I was 19 years ago. Being a mom way back then didn't involve much more than baby care (feeding, changing, and washing). Yes, I did get frustrated when the baby was fussy, but other than that, mothering was like carting a favorite toy around with me every where I went. I didn't have to argue with the baby over who got the last piece of cake, I didn't have to tell it for the tenth time to GO TO BED and QUIT TORMENTING THE CAT, FERCRYINOUTLOUD and STOP ARGUING OVER WHO MAKES MORE NOISE WHEN THEY SNEEZE. I didn't have to clean up after the baby, other than spit up--no toys, no backpacks, no books, no craft supplies, no Legos, no drawings, no jackets on the floor. I'm not saying it was easy, because it wasn't, but these days, I feel like my brain has been taken over by my children and all I do is wander around the house looking for ways to help them remember to be civilized people. When did I become a nag?

If you had told me when I had the first baby that I would eventually have five babies, I wouldn't have flinched because that's how many I wanted. If you had told me that my life would be overwhelmingly busy because I would have five children, I wouldn't have flinched either, because I saw what life was like with five children when I was a child. I was a member of a five-children household. So I don't ever regret it.

But sometimes I look forward to these children moving on. I want them to be on their own and nagging their own selves to pick up their clean socks from the family room floor.

Then sometimes I see a little newborn and miss my babies terribly. I miss the time when Matt was 3 and he came into my room and asked me what I was doing, sitting on the bed by myself. I said, "Oh, just wasting time." And Matt said, "Can I waste time with you?" He was so charming that even though I had wanted a moment to myself, I couldn't help but pull him up on the bed and cuddle with him.

Anyway, yesterday. Katie's birthday. We didn't see a lot of Katie yesterday; she had things to do, places to go, and people to see. But we did manage to squeeze in a family dinner (on top of the still unfinished castle puzzle) and cake. Then Katie had more galavanting to do with friends. These are those friends.They went to their old Normandale hangout, the Bloomington McDonalds.

Comments

Jen said…
Katie,
I'm so glad you got to come home to see your family and friends. I hope you had a wonderful birthday and that this year turns out great for you! We really wish we could've seen you during your visit, but I know you're super busy catching up with everyone else.

SP-
I'm definitely feeling what you're feeling with raising kids. I had the silly notion that it would get easier once the kids got older, but it's only gotten busier and requires more of my time, energy, sanity. I think you've done a fabulous job though. Those kids of yours are all marvelous and have grown-up to be fine individuals.
Dennis said…
I agree completely with Jen. You have five wonderful, tallented children and you can be very proud of them. The time you invested with them while they were young (er)will pay dividends for the rest of your life. When they are all grown and on their own you will be able to grandmother their children and then sit with Jim and wish you had them back and they will always consider your home theirs.
Stephanie said…
Sara, first of all, I'm so glad you found my blog. (well, actually I'm half embarrassed, but mostly glad I guess.) Secondly, I love this line: "all I do is wander around the house looking for ways to help them remember to be civilized people." I feel like that's all I do, too! So glad to know that I'll still be doing it in 17 years. Sigh. I've scrolled through your blog and I'm so impressed with all the neat things you and your family are doing. Just more reasons to admire you.